Peter J. Martin concentrates his practice primarily in the areas of business law, real estate, corporate law, estate planning and probate proceedings. For over 45 years, Mr. Martin has represented numerous small business interests, including their litigation, preparation of agreements and other required legal services. This has included the sale and purchase of businesses throughout Western New York. In addition, he has handled numerous commercial and residential real estate matters representing both purchasers, sellers and lending institutions. In this area, he has represented purchasers of industrial property, retail property, plazas, schools as well as residences and vacant property. He also is a certified real estate title examiner for several title insurance companies in New York State.
In the area of estates, trusts and estate planning, he has represented individuals and families throughout the Western New York area in counseling them in estate planning, particularly in the area of minimizing estate taxes and these services include preparation of revocable and irrevocable trusts, powers of attorney, health care proxies and other related documents. He also has handled hundreds of estates from appointing estate representatives through accountings, New York State and IRS audits of estate assets and other related activities involving estate practice. He has appeared in Surrogate Courts throughout the Western New York area and has been involved in extensive litigation representing clients in Surrogate’s Court.
He also appears in Supreme and Federal Court regarding commercial and bankruptcy litigation. He also has appeared before the Appellate Division, Eighth Department, relative to the appeals of Court determinations on behalf of his clients.
Mr. Martin is a Senior Partner in the Bouvier Partnership, LLP since 1988 and has served on numerous partnership committees together with chairing the Executive Committee, which governs the partnership.
- J.D., State University of New York at Buffalo, 1961-1964
- B.S., Accounting Major, Georgetown University, 1957-1961
- New York State Bar, 1964
- Tax Court of the United States
- United States District Court for the Western District of New York
- American Arbitration Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Erie County Bar Association
- Mr. Martin is also a member of the Practice and Procedure in Surrogate’s Court Committee, Ethics Committee and the Real Estate Committee of the Erie County Bar Association
Professional & Civic Activities:
- Board of Directors of Heritage Centers
- Past Member of Guardianship Committee of People, Inc.
- Member of the Buffalo Tennis and Squash Club
- Past Commodore and Member of the Buffalo Canoe Club
- Parishioner of Blessed Sacrament Church, Buffalo, New York
- Past President of the Parents Association at Canisius High School
- Past President of the Board of Directors of Westminster Nursery School
- Erie County Bar Association, Examination of Witnesses to Wills under §1404 of the SCPA
- Erie County Bar Association, Ethics Committee, Retaining of Client’s Files
- National Business Institute, Closing of Commercial Real Estate Transactions
- Lectures before numerous civic, religious, not-for-profit and community residences on a variety of estate matter topics