John P. DePaolo is Special Counsel in the firm’s Litigation Department. During the past 23 years, Mr. DePaolo has litigated over 300 jury trials. He has experience in all areas of complex civil and personal injury litigation, appellate practice, labor law, commercial litigation, real estate, and wills and trusts. Mr. DePaolo frequently appears in New York State Supreme Court on behalf of defendants in personal injury lawsuits. In addition, Mr. DePaolo serves as trial counsel to various municipalities. From 1990 to 2001, Mr. DePaolo practiced exclusively in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. In Massachusetts, Mr. DePaolo served as an Assistant District Attorney, prosecuting major felonies, including sexual assaults, shaken baby injuries, and narcotics trafficking cases. He worked with law enforcement officials in violent criminal apprehension protocols and undercover operations. Mr. DePaolo worked with the International Longshoremen’s Association in Houston, Texas before law school during a time when the Union was undergoing racial integration. Mr. DePaolo was a strong advocate during the desegregation in Houston, Texas. Mr. DePaolo has been recognized in “Super Lawyers” for Upstate New York and has also been nominated Who’s Who in Law, Buffalo Business First and Buffalo Law Journal.
- J.D., University of Dayton School of Law, 1990 – During law school, Mr. DePaolo worked for United States Bankruptcy Judge William A. Clark in Dayton, Ohio. During the summers, he worked for the Erie County Surrogate Judge, Joseph S. Mattina, in Buffalo, New York. While in law school, Mr. DePaolo served as chairman for the National Administrative Law Moot Court competition. Mr. DePaolo also served on the Honor Code Committee and was a Moot Court Board Member. Mr. DePaolo was elected to a two (2) year term as a Student Liason to Federal Bankruptcy Court Practice Symposium.
- B.A., State University of New York College at Buffalo, 1987 – Mr. DePaolo served for four (4) years in the Student Government’s Judicial Council. Mr. DePaolo’s major was English Literature and he minored in Religious Studies.
- Massachusetts Bar, 1990
- New York State Bar, 1991
- United States District Court, Massachusetts, 1991
- United States District Court for the Western District of New York, 2001
- Defense Trial Lawyers of Western New York (Director 2008-2011; Vice President 2012)
- New York State Bar Association (Mediation Committee Section and Torts, Insurance, and Compensation Law Section)
- Erie County Bar Association (Negligence Committee)
- Western New York Trial Lawyers Association
Professional & Civic Activities:
- Board of Trustees, St. Mary’s School for the Deaf, Chairman, Marketing and Development Committee, www.smsdk12.org
- Board Member, Buffalo Sunrise Rotary Club, www.rotary.org Mr. DePaolo was President of the Club in 2008-2009, at which time the International Rotary moto was “Make Dreams Real”. The Club received the International Rotary Presidential Citation under Mr. DePaolo’s leadership. Mr. DePaolo also served as a leader of the Rotary Outdoor Leadership Expedition, which is a subarctic experience offered through the Rotary District Youth Exchange Program.
- Volunteer, Kevin Guest House www.kevinguesthouse.org
- New York Super Lawyers, 2012
- Who’s Who in Law, Buffalo Business First, Buffalo Law Journal, 2012